Painted Nursery Mobile

I’ve seen quite a few nursery mobiles floating around Pinterest lately, and given my recent obsession with circle-shaped decor elements, I was particularly drawn to this DIY Better-Than-Paint-Chip Mobile and Stylish Nursery on the Cheap Mobile. Both are made essentially by hanging strings of circles from an embroidery hoop. I was drawn to the double-hoop system of the paint chip mobile, and how the circles were strung, but preferred the more sparse/clean appearance of the cheap mobile.

Challenge: I didn’t want to make the circles out of paper or something that probably wouldn’t last long = no paint chips.  I really wanted to make a mobile with felt circles, but I couldn’t find any stiff felt in the right colors.

Solution: I found and purchased 3 packs of thin wooden circle slices in assorted sizes at Pat Catan’s. I painted them in various shades with paint I already had, and used a thumb tack to push two holes in their centers (like buttons!). I made “columns” by stringing together several slices of the same color, plus one red slice. I tied each “column” to the embroidery hoop.

mobile-in-progress

Final Result:

mobile-final


Now that I have another embroidery hoop, string and stain, I could make another mobile for the cost of circle slices or $6.

Papier-Mâché Wall-Mount Zebra Head

It’s probably not the nicest thing to say, but when I saw this $69 papier-mâché zebra head on my best friend’s baby registry, my first thought was…

I could make that for way cheaper.

And I wanted to! A quick search on Pinterest led me to this tutorial gem, and I followed the DIY instructions almost to a T (in other words, I skipped the podging because I didn’t have any Modge Podge and applied two layers of white base paint instead).

I already had everything else for this project idling around the house, except for the $4 wood plaque and $1 hanging cleat I bought from Pat Catans:

  • Flour and water for the paste
  • Plastic bags I’d neglected to recycle and blue painter’s tape for creating the initial shapes
  • Strips of brown paper shipping fill for the papier-mâché layers
  • Cardboard from a used box for the backing
  • Leftover black chalkboard paint and white wall paint

Zebra-in-progress

The hardest part of this project was painting the chevron stripes. I free-handed them because it was too difficult to tape off on the curved surface of the zebra head. (If you are not good at painting, this project is probably not for you!)

Total Cost: $5!

Zebra-final

A Blog Like All the Others

I like crafts. I find myself getting antsy when weeks lapse without a new project. It was the DIY decor part of wedding planning/making that I loved the most (screw logistics!). Once the big day came and went, I started itching for something to work on. Luckily, my matron of honor is expecting, and her registry has inspired me to DIY a couple of nursery accessories, which I hope to share with you later this year (if they aren’t total disasters). In the meantime, I have a few wedding-related crafts to kick off this new blogging venture.

What venture? Well, like gazillions of other women out there, I spend a good amount of time on Pinterest. Occasionally I find an idea worth exploring… and sometimes I even get around to making something. My process usually involves:

  • Trying to substitute materials I already have, instead of buying new supplies
  • Deciphering the original instructions, often by relying on additional info sources
  • Simplifying the steps
  • Solving problems caused by all of the above

And now I’m going to try blogging about it. Like plenty of other blogs before mine, this might be a passing phase that starts semi-strong and fades quickly or loses focus entirely. I’m going to try to develop it through the lens of what I would want to see if I were the reader searching for a decor, home or party-related craft. If I keep it simple, it might add some value to our overly saturated world of content, but no promises.