Creating your own signage is a great way to spice up any party for minimal cost. Several years ago, I created a giant chalkboard by purchasing a whiteboard and painting it with chalkboard paint (I couldn’t find a nice large chalkboard at the time). I knew I could use all of that space to my advantage for signage at our wedding reception.
There are two tricks to a good hand-written chalkboard: (1) a chalk marker and (2) planning sketches. Regular chalk is messy and hard to control. A chalk marker is easy to use and will allow you to create precise clean lines. And, the marker erases almost as easily as as regular chalk.
- Searched “chalkboard lettering” on Pinterest and found several signs and lettering examples for inspiration.
- Narrowed down inspiration to examples I felt I could somewhat replicate.
- Sketched out my design in pencil on paper, adjusting until I was happy.
- Sketched out my design and the letters VERY faintly with regular chalk onto the board.
- Went over the sketch with the chalk marker, erasing the regular chalk marks along the way.